My girls have reached that somewhat tricky age of swimming where they are capable enough in the pool that I don’t need to have my hands on them at every moment but are still little enough that they want me in the water playing with them rather than reading a book on the lounge chairs.
If I’m going to be in the water, it would be nice to be squeezing in a little fitness time but swimming laps is out of the question since it would mean leaving them unsupervised for just too long.
Last week, inspiration hit me. I was in the pool with my girls and they were playing with their new Sunny Patch kick boards. One floated towards me and I decided mommy needed a turn. It ended up being the perfect fitness tool! I was able to work on balance, strength training, and even a little bit of cardio all while maintaining my arm’s reach distance from the kids.
I know I’ve read that experts recommend making time for exercise in 10-15 minute increments throughout the day. Those short chunks add up by bedtime. If you’re taking the kids to the pool this summer, these three simple exercises are just perfect for squeezing into your harried schedule!
All you need for these exercises is a Spark Shark kick board.
1. Underwater surfing: Push the kick board under water and kneel on it with both legs and raise your arms out to your sides. Use your tummy muscles to keep balanced. Have the kids count and see how long you can remain stable without moving your arms to keep your position.
2. Octopus arms: While still kneeling on the underwater kick board, try to swim around the kids by treading water with your arms. Scoop them in towards your body and then switch and scoop out to work the opposite muscles. You could also race against the kids to see who can scoop faster.
3. Shark circles: With your kids in the middle, hold the kick board in your hands and swim circles around them just like a shark circles it’s prey. My kids squealed with delight when I told them I was pretending to be the shark but you could just as easily pretend to be a dolphin protecting them. Kick your legs and get that heart pumping!
Looking for more great ways to use your kick board? These are our family’s favorite pool toys. Use the kick board like a table in the middle and it is even easier to play!
Tiffany Dahle is the hostess behind Peanut Blossom where she shares her belief that strong families start with strong and happy mothers. She encourages you to develop everyday possibilities for stretching your creativity while doing what you do to keep that household running!
Taking Care of You
We know your days are busy working, kissing boo-boos, juggling laundry, making dentist appointments, and reading good-night stories. As parents, we instinctively put our children’s needs first. We prioritize their health and their happiness above our own.
It’s time to step back and look at the whole picture. You need to take care of you FOR THEM. You are the only one who can give your child a happy parent who enjoys life. What a wonderful gift!
We know that Taking Care of You is easier said than done. So, throughout the summer, we’ll continue to share weekly posts with simple, easy, unique ideas to keep you inspired. In this special series, our Melissa & Doug Blog Ambassadors will share their practical, real-life advice on how to:
- Focus on your own well-being
- Make healthy eating simple + enjoyable
- Build exercise into your family routine
- …and more!