This classic-toy gift guide is brought to you by Melissa & Doug, written by our Blog Ambassador Zina Harrington.
Make everyday activities an adventure! — Zina
. . .
Today I am honored to share with you a few of my favorite Melissa & Doug toys. In a world filled with gizmos, gadgets, and screens, Melissa & Doug has become a safe-haven for parents looking for battery-free ways to engage their children. Their classic toys foster simple joy and creativity.
The power of imagination makes us infinite. ~John Muir
Below is a collection of toys that will lead your child into a world of imaginative play:
As a child, my two brothers and I would play for hours using wooden blocks to create pathway for cities. I had alternative versions of ALL of the classic toys below. I love that Melissa & Doug has continued to carry on these traditional toys for a new generation of parents.
- Parking Garage *How cool is that car wash?
Additional resources for parents:
- Building Blocks: A Level-by-Level Guide
- Creativity: Going Beyond Knowledge
- Finding a Way Back to Simplicity
Bon Appétit: Classic Food Play
My girls love anything from the Food Play section of the Melissa & Doug website. Below are three of our favorite items. The Slice and Bake Cookie Set was by far the most popular toy in our house throughout the toddler years. My girls loved them so much that I even wrote an entire blog post about it. For this reason, I was thrilled when I saw the Slice & Bake Christmas Cookies released this year (image below).
- Slice & Bake Cookie Set – Wooden Play Food
- Food Groups – Wooden Play Food
- Play Kitchen Accessory Set – Pot & Pans
- Slice & Bake Christmas Cookie Play Set *New
Additional resource for parents:
- 5 ways to make “cookie play” educational
- Encourage Healthy Eating with a “Kid’s Restaurant”!
- Holiday Baking with Kids: How to Keep it Fun (Without Destroying Your Kitchen!)
Puzzles for the Mind
I’ve also watched our girls grow with Melissa & Doug puzzles. We received our first Melissa & Doug toy, the Stack & Sort Board as a gift, when our first daughter was a toddler. Over time, we’ve graduated from their block puzzles to 300-piece puzzles. Here are some of my girls’ favorites from over the years:
- House Pets Jumbo Knob Puzzle – 3 Pieces
- Jumbo Stacking Train Wooden Playset
- Wooden USA Map Puzzle
- Stack & Sort Board
- Cardboard Jigsaw Puzzles
- Underwater Floor Puzzle – 48 Pieces
- Farm Cube Puzzle
What are your family’s favorite Melissa & Doug toys?
Let’s chat in the comments.
These creative Talent Show tips are brought to you by Melissa & Doug, written by our Blog Ambassador
Zina is the author of Let’s Lasso the Moon, where she inspires parents and children to interact creatively and enjoy the beauty of everyday moments.
Batteries image credit: Heather Kennedy