Happy Birthday Albert Einstein! Share special time with your child and celebrate the most famous scientist of all time with some easy treats and silly activities for kids that won’t wear out your brain.
Begin your Albert Einstein-themed day with an age-appropriate book about familiar inventions and the original “nutty professor.” A few to try:
Brown, Don. Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein (Grade 2-5)
Jones, Charlotte. Mistakes That Worked: 40 Familiar Inventions & How They Came to Be (Grade 4-6)
Krull, Kathleen. Albert Einstein (Giants of Science) (Grade 5-8)
Pohlen, Jerome. Albert Einstein and Relativity for Kids: His Life and Ideas with 21 Activities and Thought Experiments (Grade 3 and up)
Next, try these creative play ideas:
- Pull together a simple Einstein costume with a vest, wild white wig, and mustache. Make funny faces and stick out your tongue in an Albert E. impression. Don’t forget to snap a photo!
- Einstein said, “If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music…. I do know that I get most joy in life out of my violin.” Introduce your little ones to new sounds with the Beginner Band Set or Band in a Box, or get busy with the Musical Instruments Sound Puzzle or Music Peg Puzzle
- Albert also had a big imagination, saying, “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” Stretch kids’ artistic imagination with a project capturing Einstein’s likeness on paper. The Jumbo Paint Brush Set, Finger Paint Set, or Jumbo Watercolor Paint Set can be a great place to start.
- Finally, head for the kitchen and feed that gray matter with one (or more) of these brilliant treats:
- Decorate an Einstein birthday cake using licorice whips, frosting, or marshmallows for wild hair, bushy eyebrows, and mustache
- Create a fruit platter using strawberries, melon, and grapes to form a face. Then add fresh coconut for the hair, eyebrows, and mustache.
- Make a tex-mex snack with a bean dip face, tortilla chip hair, and shredded cheese mustache, eyebrows, and hair.
Have fun! And don’t forget to reinforce the idea that being smart is cool!