5 Fun Facts about Water and Swimming
Water is wonderful! And if you really like being in the water you can swim indoors or out, winter, spring summer or fall.
But when the weather warms up, kids can put on some sunscreen and a bathing suit, then run through a kid-friendly garden sprinkler in the yard or spend a day at the swimming pool. That’s one of the things that can make summer even more magical than just a long break from school. Besides building friendships with other children, summer vacation memories, and stronger bodies through water play, those sunny days in the water also provide children with sensory benefits (that they might not even notice!).
We want to “dive into” some fun facts about water. Here are 5 that you might enjoy:
- Egyptians made a picture or symbol for swimming as far back as 2500 BCE.
- There is less stress on your body’s bones and joints during swimming than in other sports, because your body is supported by water.
- The Olympics holds 17 different swimming events.
- It’s easier to float in saltwater than in freshwater. In the Dead Sea, which has very high salt content, people float on the surface just like they’re on a raft!
- An hour of vigorous swimming can burn more calories than either walking or biking.
What are some of your favorite water activities? Share your answers in the comments section below.
At Melissa & Doug we strive to produce the highest quality educational toys for children. From puzzles to puppets, plush to play food, magnetic activities, music and more, Melissa & Doug is one of the leading designers and manufacturers of educational toys and children’s products. Started in 1988 in their garage, Melissa & Doug has something for everyone, with over 2,000 unique and exciting products for children of all ages.